Rawhide dog chews are very popular with dog owners. They are widely available, come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and are fairly inexpensive.
However rawhide is not the best chew to give to your dog, in fact they are a good example of a potentially dangerous natural dog treat.
Rawhide is basically cow skin and tastes similar to beef, which is why your canine friend loves it so much but this innocent looking treat can also be hazardous for your dog.
Anybody that has given rawhide chews to their dog will know that they get very soggy and slimy after a short period of time. This gooey mess can easily get stuck in your dog’s throat causing a choking hazard, which has, is some cases even caused death.
Rawhide can cause more than just a choking hazard, if pieces of hard rawhide are swallowed, even small bits, these can get stuck in your dog’s throat, or they will actually scrape a dog’s throat and esophagus on the way down to his stomach.
So this piece of soggy rawhide has made it past your dog’s throat and into his stomach, and this is where more problems can arise. Rawhide can potentially create a physical obstruction inside the intestinal track causing your dog even more painful problems.
Top this with the fact that rawhide is not regulated in some countries and so is treated with all manner of chemicals do you really want to be giving it to your four-legged friend?